Tipps & Tricks
Tips and Tricks on Exporting Data in EFS
The CSV export is preffered to the Excel export in order to execute high volume data exports at a greater performance rate. The following applies to all exports:
1. Export duration
The exported data are not created in advance, they are created according to the settings you made the moment you click on the Export button. Depending on the desired content, selected format and number of records, the export can therefore take a considerable amount of time.
2. First save, then open the file!
Once you create the file after having made all settings, a dialog window will open, in which you can choose whether you wish to save the file on your local PC or open it directly.
Please always save the file locally on your PC. This procedure has several advantages:
- The file only needs to be created once. Newly creating the file each time would cause unnecessary load on the server and waiting time for you.
- Depending on the browser used, you may not be able to open the actual application and specify the file type when opening the file directly. Instead the browser may attempt to automatically open the file itself. However, it may be that the browser’s file type recognition was incorrectly implemented, i.e. the browser does not identify the file type correctly, cannot open it thus producing an error message.
- Preparing/Editing the file in the browser preview is not possible.
3. Characters which cannot be exported
An effective export process into a variety of formats requires a few rather marginal modifications of the result data:
- Backslashes are removed.
- The special characters \n (Newline), \t (Horizontal tab), \r (Carriage return) and ” (Double quote) are removed as well.
- NULL values are replaced by an empty string.
These modifications affect all result data exports.